Thursday, May 21, 2009

Book Post

So being the crazy, neurotic type of person that I am I have been doing some researching and have come up with some books and stuff that I want to read or have read. So if anyone is reading this blog feel free to chime in about the usefuleness or effectiveness of the books or any suggestions for future reading (I do have an entire summer).

Books I've Read*
  • One L by Scott Turow
  • Law School Confidential by Robert Miller
  • The Insider's Guide to your First Year at Law School by Justin Spizman
  • Planet Law School by Atticus Falcon
  • Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon
  • Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School by Ruta Stropus
  • Staring Off Right in Law School by Carolyn Nygren

Books I Want To Read

  • Getting to Maybe by Richard Fischl
  • The Legal Experience: Law, Legal Reasoning, and Lawyering by Lissa Griffin
  • May It Please the Court! by Leonard Rivkin
  • A Woman's Guide to Law School by Linda Hirshman
  • The African American Law School Survival Guide: Information, Advice and Strategies to Prepare You for the Challenges of the Law School Experience by Evangeline Mitchell
  • Acing Your First Year of Law School: The Ten Steps to Success You Won't Learn in Class by Shana Noyes
  • Broken Contract: A Memoir of Harvard Law School by Richard Kalenberg
  • Black's Law: A Criminal Lawyer Reveals His Defense Strategies in Four Cliffhanger Cases by Roy Black
  • Brush with the Law: The True Story of Law School at Harvard and Princeton by Jaime Marquart
  • Ivy Briefs: True Tales of a Neurotic Law Student by Martha Kimes

*Okay so there were some that I got, thumbed through, and decided not to waste my time (Planet Law School I and II I am talking about you!)

2 comments:

  1. I read "The Study and Practice of Law" by Hegland and thought that was a good book, but what do I know? I haven't started yet either. I think I'll read "Getting to Maybe" and then call it quits with the Law School books. It seems like I should read some other stuff before we run out of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "The Brethren" and "The Nine" and found them really helpful in terms of Supreme Court history when it came to reading cases as a 1L.

    I also read Getting to Maybe, but I would recommend practice exams instead of books on how to take exams. I never really thought about how to take an exam until taking a practice exam.

    People recommended to me NOT to read before going to law school. They said to relax. I think by keeping my reading skills up and working on my speed it helped me get through the class reading quicker.

    Another suggestion would be to practice briefing cases so that you know what works for you and what doesn't. If you need some starter cases just let me know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Who links to my website?